Saturday, March 6, 2010

half moon.

I was writing away very fast, though daylight was fading from the leaf, when something came up the path, and stopped two yards off me. I looked at it. It was a little thing with a veil of gossamer on its head. I beckoned it to come near me: it stood soon at my knee. I never spoke to it, and it never spoke to me, in words: but I read its eyes, and it read mine; and our speechless colloquy was to this:–

fashionp114.jpgfashionp115.jpg
'It was a fairy, and come from Elf-land, it said; and its errand was to make me happy: I must go with it out of the common world to a lonely place–such as the moon, for instance–
fashionp116.jpgfashionp118.jpg
and it nodded its head towards her horn, rising over Hay Hill: it told me of the alabaster cave and silver vail where we might live. I said I should like to go; but reminded it, as you did me, that I had no wings to fly.'
fashionp117.jpg
' "Oh," returned the fairy, "that does not signify! Here is a talisman will remove all difficulties," and she held out a pretty gold ring. "Put it," she said, "on the fourth finger of my left hand, and I am yours, and you are mine; and we shall leave earth, and make our own heaven yonder." She nodded again at the moon. The ring, Adèle, is in my breeches-pocket, under the disguise of a sovereign: but I mean soon to change it to a ring again.'
fashionp119.jpgfashionp122.jpg
'But what has mademoiselle to do with it? I don't care for the fairy: your said it was mademoiselle you would take to the moon–?"
'Mademoiselle is a fairy,' he said, whispering mysteriously.

excerpt from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
photographs by Melodie McDaniel




I'm going to travel to the forest for a bit.
I want to find my own fairy,
to give me wings, 
and take me to the moon.

No comments: